1 can (15 oz.) black beans undrained
1 cup water
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 Italian salad dressing
3/4 cup instant brown rice
Fresh cilantro and sour cream for garnish
Place 3/4 of can of beans into blender and purée until smooth. Pour into saucepan.
Add remaining beans, water, onion, salad dressing, and brown rice and stir to blend. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until rice is tender.
Garnish with cilantro and dollop of sour cream.
Makes 2 hearty servings.
I found this recipe on the box of Western Family brand instant brown rice (which I get on WIC, along with the beans, even without WIC, this should still be a nice cheap meal.) It was nothing spectacular, but if you're looking for a quick, cheap, easy lunch or dinner then this is a good candidate. I skipped the onion and only had about 1/8 cup of the Italian dressing but it was fine. I think this would be an easy meal to play with as far as adding seasonings/garnishes. I like cilantro so I threw some in while it simmered. Also, I obviously skipped the sour cream (I like sour cream, I just opted to skip it for the fat, as I'm trying to lose some baby weight before the cruise and family pictures.) and added cheese. Avery and I also decided to add some gold fish to it. :)
Avery didn't finish her bowl (she rarely does) but she did eat it pretty well. It says it makes 2 hearty servings. I'd probably agree with that assessment. You can kind of see what we ate, and this is what we had left over.
I'd eat it again. Of course, if I wouldn't eat it again I probably wouldn't bother sharing the recipe.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
No comments:
Post a Comment