Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Huevos Racheros

Hey guys, Brittny asked me to post the recipe for Huevos Rancheros, aka the fried egg on fried corn torttilla with the yummy black bean soup recipe, on here like a month ago..... so I am getting to it.  And in record time I might add.  Usually, it takes about 2 months for me to do something like this.  ;)

Huevos Rancheros

Black Bean soup: You want to make this first.
Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons Veggie Oil
1 Medium Onion
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Large Carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
3 Cloves of Garlic
2 (15oz) cans Black Beans
1 (14oz) can Chicken Broth
2 Cups cubed cooked Ham ( I've never put ham in it because it is expensive, though I did once at home and it tasted just fine, FYI)
1/4 Teaspsoon Cumin ( I LOVE Cumin)
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Some Pepper to taste

Soup Directions:
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.  Stir in onion, bell pepper, carrot and garlic.  Cook for 5 mins, until tender.  (I learned in a relief society cooking class that garlic burns really easily so you should add it like the last 30-60 secs, FYI)  Mix in 1 can drained and rinsed black beans and chicken broth.  In a blender, puree remaining can of beans until smooth.  ( I don't drain the 2nd can of beans because you need to "juice" to help puree the beans)  Mix in pot.  Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to low.  Mix in Ham ( if you use it) 1/4 t cumin, 1/2 t salt and pepper.  Simmer on Low for 20 mins.


Pico de Gallo (aka my made up Salsa):
Ingredients:
Tomatoes
onions
lemon or lime juice
1 red bell pepper
salt and pepper

In the past this has been what I've used.  I just play around with how many tomatoes and onions I use depending on what I have or how many people are going to eat.  For my family, I use about 4-5 tomatoes but I always have extra Pico.  The lemon and salt and pepper I use until I like the flavor.  And I always do 1 red bell pepper unless I know its gonna be a large group then I use 2.  I've also thought about using garlic and rice vinegar.


Huevos Rancheros:

Ingredients:
White or yellow corn tortillas
Eggs
Shredded cheese
Veggie Oil

Directions:
I didn't put amounts on the ingredients list because it just depends on how many you are feeding.  Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.  Once oil is hot enough, put one corn tortilla and cook for a few mins or until lightly crisped.  Turn the tortilla over.  Put some cheese on the tortilla and then crack an egg over the cheese.  Let cook for a few mins so that the side of the tortilla on the pan is crispy to your liking.  Carefully flip tortilla over.  Good luck.  Some times I just slide the egg off on to the pan and then flip the cheesy tortilla on to the egg.  Cook to your liking.  Aka, a runny yoke or a hard yoke.

Plate the Cheesy egg fried corn tortilla and add black bean soup and pico to your liking.  Enjoy!  

Oh!  And I bet if you added Missy's Guacamole recipe, posted on this blog, it would be yummy too!  


No comments:

Post a Comment