HERE is a website that lists some other great benefits (Great for diabetics mom!).
Like I said you can use them in LOTS of different ways, but here is the pudding I mentioned the other day that I think would be great for your kids (and you) if you are trying to take it easy on the sugar :)

Fair warning: The texture (and appearance) is a little weird, but maybe you can sell it as something cool like frog eyes to your kids? The texture is along the lines of tapioca pudding. Ok. Now for the recipe.
Serves 2
1 cup milk, any kind you like
3 tablespoons chia seeds
1-2 packets stevia (more or less to taste)*
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 small pinch sea salt
Stir together all ingredients in a small bowl; refrigerate until it reaches your desired thickness, stirring occasionally. (I usually chill mine about 2 hours, but overnight is fine.)
Here are some of my thoughts and suggestions on the recipe.
-I like to use vanilla almond milk. Im sure rice milk would work fine for little Sophie.
-The first time I made this it turned out a little runny (still delicious), so the next time I added a little more chia seed and it helped to thicken it up. (The chia seeds absorb the milk and swell, forming a gel)
-I dont have stevia. I used agave nectar. Im sure any sweetener would work just fine. Or if you are using something like the vanilla almond milk that it is already sweet you might be able to just forego the sweetener all together.
-I dont have sea salt. I didnt bother adding table salt. I dont know if it makes a difference :)
-The colder the better!
-It says it makes two servings, but they are decent sized portions, so whatever.
Let me know what you think! If you guys try this and like it and want other chia seed recipes let me know!
Kris, where do you get your chia seeds? Is it a specialty thing? Or can they be found in any grocery store?
ReplyDeleteSorry, i just barely saw this question. We got ours at Maceys! If you want you can have a cup full of ours so you can try them before you buy a bag. I bought our bag like a month ago, use them a fair amount and still have like half the bag left.
ReplyDelete